Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Provisional Independence

My son doesn't need me anymore. 

At least, that's what it seems he has provisionally decided.


This little boy, who is almost two, is asserting his independence a little more each day. He is becoming more vocal about what he wants. Actually, if you've met my son, you know that he is QUITE vocal. Loud would be a better descriptor. With us for parents he was pretty much doomed to be chatty. Until now, there had been a lot more babbling (with gusto, of course). 

Now, there is less guessing on our part. Now, there are phrases. He can tell me he wants an apple, instead avoiding the mess that inevitably came from me guessing he meant grilled cheese. And feeding him? Done. He must complete this task himself. As a side note, the dog will be quite disappointed that less is flung in his general direction during meal times.

This kid also insists on walking to the car when we leave the house. No more being carried. That's so infant-stage, mom. Jeez.

Each and every day I am reminded that he will never again be this little. Time goes so fast. Before we realize it, he will be off to college (at Arizona State University on a baseball scholarship, of course; class of 2035). It is this perspective that I hold tightly to during the moments when he reminds us he is in fact not quite two and throws an epic tantrum--likely due to frustration over not being able to communicate effectively, ironically.

Then again, when I drop him off at the sitter and he clings tightly to my index finger, looking to me for reassurance, I am so grateful. When I pick him up at the end of the day and he exclaims "Mommy!!" when I walk in the door and comes running, I think my heart might burst. At nighttime when I am rocking him to sleep and snuggling his precious face, I wonder if he will let me do that when he is twelve.

Wait...what?

There are many more milestones to come. The list is endless.

In the short term, I'm really looking forward to the day he can wipe his own butt. Really, completely manage that area himself.

Until then, this gal will be wiping his butt with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment